Welcome to our careers page. My name is Caroline Davison and I am Berwins' Operations Director. Berwins is proud to have been listed in the Legal 500 and Chambers Directories for many years and is Lexcel accredited and is an Investor in People. It also holds the Law Society’s CQS accreditation for the quality of its conveyancing work.
Berwins is a law firm which works to deliver passion and care in all it does - to its clients, its work, its people and its community. We care deeply for the needs of our clients and the quality of the work we do for them; we work with them to achieve what they need, taking ownership of their issues and of their quest to find solutions; and we strive to be accessible on our clients' terms, not our own.
We do not have any vacancies for training contracts at present.
I co-ordinate our work experience and internship programmes and enquiries in these areas should be made to me.
Job Description: Private Client lawyer
This is a full-time post for a 2 – 4 PQE solicitor. However, we would consider a part-time post for an exceptional candidate. Our Legal 500 and Chambers ranked team covers the full range of private client matters, including Wills, Inheritance tax planning, Trusts, Probate, Powers of Attorney, Court of Protection and Elderly Client matters. You must have a passion for this area of law as we have a fabulous client base and this is a fantastic opportunity to develop your skills. The team is well regarded and the successful candidate would be expected to contribute to business development and be pro-active in participating in marketing initiatives, including writing newspapers articles and blogs, attending networking event and presenting at seminars.
- Be responsible for a diverse case-load of private client matters, liaising with more senior lawyers as appropriate;
- Deliver legal services of outstanding quality that are focused on the client’s needs with a quick and accurate turnaround of legal documents;
- See clients unsupervised (after initial training) and advising them and drafting relevant documents;
- Prepare Trust accounts and tax returns and assist senior lawyers on Trust files;
- Attend meetings with clients to oversee execution of documents;
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as required by senior lawyers/team leader;
- You will be working to benchmarked service levels.
Knowledge and experience
- Previous private client experience is essential;
- Experience of contentious Trust and Probate matters would be advantageous;
- High level of IT skills are essential as the candidate will be expected to produce some of their own documents and use a case management system.
- Full STEP membership would be an advantage, or willingness to undertake study to achieve this
- Full membership of Solicitors for the Elderly, or willingness to undertake study to achieve this, would be an advantage.
Skills and qualities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Demonstrate care and empathy towards clients;
- Organised and methodical;
- Team player, with willingness to assist senior lawyers to help deliver a joint outcome;
- Highly organised with the ability to work to deadlines and to prioritise conflicting objectives;
- Able to deal appropriately with confidential information;
- Computer literate, with good research skills;
- Accurate, with good attention to detail;
- Good numerical skills;
Job Description: IT Lawyer
Berwins have a highly rated specialism in IP/IT contracts as a stand-out focus for its commercial work, under the Berwins Digital brand.
As well as operating from its main office is in Harrogate, Berwins Digital has a small presence in Leeds to provide visibility to software companies and digital agencies in the city and more broadly.
We are looking for an able and versatile commercial lawyer to work with the head of Commercial and Digital (and the firm’s founder/senior partner) Paul Berwin principally on the following areas:
- Creating and negotiation of software and IP related contracts
- IP advice
- Drafting and negotiation of general commercial agreements
Because the Berwins commercial function needs to have a high degree of versatility and resilience, the ability to deal also with the following would be a distinct advantage:
- Drafting of company documents (e.g. resolutions, sale and purchase agreements)
- Conduct of commercial transactions
The team also comprises a senior employment lawyer who also assists on commercial contracts, two trainees together with two commercial litigation solicitors and three commercial property specialists.
Berwins are highly rated in Chambers and Legal 500 for its IP and IT specialisms and have a growing roster of clients in these areas, both in the UK and overseas. Many of its clients’ dealing are
We expect the person for this role would be at least 2 years PQE with a sound understanding of the business of software companies and digital marketing agencies. A strong understanding of IP ownership issues and experience of dealing with negotiations with substantial corporate concerns will be important.
As part of the recruitment process we will expect candidates to complete an exercise in document review and reporting.
Berwins is one of the leading law firms in Harrogate and in the North Yorkshire area - details at www.berwin.co.uk; we are repeatedly ranked for the quality of our work in directories such as Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners. Our core values are passion, care, ownership, teamwork and accessibility - and to make sure we’re not just talking the talk we have our files audited against our benchmarks. We use the phrase which a client gave to us - no ordinary lawyers - as an aspiration against which to measure what we are achieving.
Berwins welcomes applications from suitably qualified people regardless of age, race, ethnic or national origin, religion, marital status, disability or sexual orientation. All applications for employment are considered strictly on merit