Recently Berwins joined Resolution members from across Great Britain to explore ‘a better way’; including lobbying parliament for much needed changes to divorce law and focusing on the constructive approach we take to our work with separated families.
Resolution is the national organisation of family justice professionals who work with separating families to resolve divorce in a constructive way. With over 50 years’ collective professional experience, at Berwins we know that a constructive, professional approach achieves the best results. That’s why we’re proud to sign up to the Resolution Code – our commitment to reduce conflict and confrontation, support and encourage families to put the best interests of any children first and act with honesty, integrity and objectivity.
Here’s what the code means for you:
- We will listen to you – from the outset, we’re committed to hear your story and understand and respect how you want to proceed.
- We will explain all the options – legal processes can be complex and confusing when you have so much else going on. We will take the time to explain them, ensuring that you have the confidence and support to make the right decisions.
- We will help you look ahead – when going through a divorce, the many immediate pressures and concerns mean that it can be difficult to look ahead. As part of our commitment to care, we help you to focus on what’s important in the long term and build a solution which focuses on the light at the end of the tunnel.
- We will focus on a balanced approach – during a separation, there can be many considerations – financial, emotional and practical. Balancing these can be difficult, but by focusing on what you want to achieve, together we can find an appropriate, balanced approach.
- We will find the right approach – we recognise that no situation or circumstance is identical. Working together, we explore what it right for you and your family and work constructively towards the best outcomes.
- We will manage a stressful situation – we recognise that going through a divorce can be one of the most stressful times in a person’s life. We can’t make that disappear, but we can help manage stress levels by focusing on the above.
Sarah Smith is Managing Director at Berwins Solicitors. She is also Yorkshire’s only Eminent Practitioner of Family Law and is an Accredited Family Mediator.